Sunday, November 19, 2006

Felting

Ah......... felt that.
Not a particularly good picture of a cushion that I made. It's made with the background of felted alpaca (black) and has a picture of tree, clouds, and "paddock" in the foreground. I'm rather proud of it. Over the past few months I've been doing lots of felting. Felted soap on a rope, biros, bookmarks, bags, hats, leaves, and most recently rolled roses. I've found that alpaca felts just as well, (actually -better and quicker than wool slivers) as long as guard hair and coarser hair is removed when I'm drum carding it. The batts off the drum carder are ideal to lay down "just like that" and makes laying out the felt incredibly fast. I try not to make the batts too thick. Making felt has been an ideal way of using up my huge stache of wool from the shed.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered making fezes? You know those furry things Turks wear to cover, cone shapped, red with dangly things to cover their sensitive parts?

Gerenuk

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that if I had a picture to go from, I could do anything. The best part about alpaca is that it doesn't cause as much itch as sheeps wool!

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, of course an itch is not always that bad.... unless hard to scratch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home